General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a rule which went into effect on May 25, 2018. This new regulation enforces stricter data protection laws for organizations operating in the European Union, and those handling EU person's personal data.
What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation that addresses the handling of data privacy in the European Union. As a law, the GDPR is enforceable in and out of the EU, and carries large fines for non-compliance. The regulation was created to further safeguard EU person's data privacy, while at the same time standardizing how organizations manage data privacy.
Who does the GDPR apply to?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has extra-territorial reach, extending to organizations worldwide. This regulation applies to:
- Organizations in the EU which handle or process data.
- Organizations that are outside of the EU, which handle or process EU person's personal data.
Is 24hourtek GDPR compliant?
24hourtek has always kept our customers’ data private and secure. We are not in the business of collecting or selling personal information. While GDPR holds us accountable for how we process EU person's personal data, we’ve taken this opportunity to review our practices and ensure that our high standards for data privacy extend to all of our customers. Furthermore, we partner with organizations who take data privacy seriously -- please see links to vendor service policies below.
- Microsoft (https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2017/04/17/earning-trust-contractual-commitments-general-data-protection-regulation/)
- ITGlue (https://itglue.com/blog/gdpr-compliance-protects-privacy/it-glue-and-gdpr-04232018-80/)
- Google Cloud (https://cloud.google.com/security/gdpr/)
- Datto (https://www.datto.com/gdpr)
- Crashplan (https://support.code42.com/Terms_and_conditions/Compliance_resources/Code42_and_GDPR_compliance)
Can 24hourtek help us become GDPR compliant?
Most simply, YES. While 24hourtek is not a compliance auditor, nor can we certify a company's compliance, we can assist with identifying and implementing systems which are compliant. Although 24hourtek does not actively work with any compliance or security auditors, we do have references for firms we've worked with in the past.
***Please note, service changes may require a special project, or separate billing.
If you're interested in reading more about GDPR, we've included a few links below. As always, if you have any questions, or would like to speak with one of our team members, please don't hesitate to call or email -- we are here to help!
2018 Reform of EU Data Protection Rules
The EU General Data Protection Regulation Portal
Everything you need to know about the new GDPR